April 17, 2013-The BBB serving Northeast Florida and The Southeast Atlantic has received multiple inquiries about a company calling itself Overstock Clearance Center. The company website, www.overstockclearancecenter.com claims to sell generators, fitness equipment and children’s play sets at deeply discounted prices. Inquirers state that they have responded to craigslist ads and then are directed to the company website. The website advertises that the company is a BBB Accredited Business and that they have an A+ rating with the BBB, both of which are untruths.
The company requires that payments to be made through Green Dot MoneyPak or Google checkout, which gives consumers no recourse in the case that no goods are received. There is no address listed on the website although they claim to ship from Brunswick, Georgia. When researching the website BBB found that they are registered as a domain by proxy out of Scranton, PA. BBB has been unable to locate contact information for the web hosting company.
BBB checked with the Georgia Secretary of State Corporations Division, the Glynn County Occupational Tax Coordinator, and the City of Brunswick Business License Division and came up with no licensing information for overstockclearnacecenter.com.
Based on the above information it is BBB’s conclusion that this is a complete fraud and that the company does not exist nor has it ever existed. Extreme caution is urged. If you feel you have been a victim of this scam you may wish to contact the Internet Crime Complaint Center at www.ic3.gov
Craigslist guide to avoiding scams recommends:
· DEAL LOCALLY WITH FOLKS YOU CAN MEET IN PERSON - follow this one rule and avoid 99% of scam attempts.
· NEVER WIRE FUNDS VIA WESTERN UNION, MONEYGRAM or any other wire service - anyone who asks you to do so is likely a scammer.
· FAKE CASHIER CHECKS & MONEY ORDERS ARE COMMON, and BANKS WILL CASH THEM AND THEN HOLD YOU RESPONSIBLE when the fake is discovered weeks later.
· CRAIGSLIST IS NOT INVOLVED IN ANY TRANSACTION, and does not handle payments, guarantee transactions, provide escrow services, or offer "buyer protection" or "seller certification"
· NEVER GIVE OUT FINANCIAL INFORMATION (bank account number, social security number, eBay/PayPal info, etc.)
· AVOID DEALS INVOLVING SHIPPING OR ESCROW SERVICES and know that ONLY A SCAMMER WILL "GUARANTEE" YOUR TRANSACTION.
· DO NOT RENT HOUSING WITHOUT SEEING THE INTERIOR, OR PURCHASE EXPENSIVE ITEMS SIGHT-UNSEEN - in all likelihood that housing unit is not actually for rent and that cheap item does not exist.
· DO NOT SUBMIT TO CREDIT CHECKS OR BACKGROUND CHECKS FOR A JOB OR FOR HOUSING UNTIL YOU HAVE MET THE INTERVIEWER OR LANDLORD/AGENT IN PERSON.
To check the reliability of a company or find trustworthy businesses visit bbb.org.
About Better Business Bureau:
BBB's mission is to be the leader in advancing marketplace trust. BBB accomplishes this mission by creating a community of trustworthy businesses, setting standards for marketplace trust, encouraging and supporting best practices, celebrating marketplace role models and denouncing substandard marketplace behavior.
Businesses that earn BBB Accreditation contractually agree and adhere to the organization's high standards of ethical business behavior. BBB is the preeminent resource to turn to for objective, unbiased information on businesses and charities.
Contact BBB serving Northeast Florida & The Southeast Atlantic at 800-713-6661